A Tygerdal resident is at his wits’ end with the ongoing noise and health and safety risks emanating from the Tygerdal dumping site.
For years residents have aired their concerns about the dumping site and have asked for it to be decommissioned.
In 2014 the City promised to close the site down and set plans in motion for the establishment of the Beaconvale site, which was originally going to open in November 2015 (“Dump saga draws to a close”, Tygertalk, May 21, 2014).
In March last year, plans for a new City dump site in Beaconvale, Parow, were stalled due to concerns about flood risk (“Dump site plans hits a wobble”, Northern News, March 8).
The City’s catchment and stormwater management branch was to have done a study in March last year to gauge the risk. This was according to Sub-council 4 chairman Chris Jordaan who said at the time: “Additional detailed flood-line modelling and analyses of the Elsieskraal canal is required for the Beaconvale drop-off and adjacent area, to determine the severity of the flood risk to the development.”
Resident James Calitz, who moved to Cape Town from Johannesburg last year, said when he viewed the property, he had been told by the realtor that the Tygerdal dump site would be closed and that he should not worry about the ongoing noise coming from the heavy-duty trucks which regularly pass by his house.
In an email, sent to Ward 27 councillor Cecile Janse van Rens- burg last month, Mr Calitz said that he worked from home and the noise affected his productivity.
“I stay opposite a beautiful play park used by children and for the walking of dogs. As you are aware, this park has no fence. Heavy duty trucks visiting the Tygerdal dumping site travel along Oranje Street seven days a week at all hours of the day. As a new resident, I suggest that the trucks, until the chipper unit is relocated, make use of the back service road and the entire venture be monitored,” he said.
Mr Calitz said Oranje Street accommodated residents, a church and retirement facility along with recreational parks and the current state of affairs simply should not be allowed.
“Safety of all should be the priority and the relocation of the chipper and trucks expedited,” he said.
Mr Calitz has plans to extend his boundary wall and said that when he went around to neighbouring residents to inform them about his plans they had told him the dump site had been a headache for years.
“It’s ongoing and irritating. Despite there being speed humps; these trucks still drive fast and you can hear the axles bumping against the pavement,” he said.
In an attempt to resolve the issue, Mr Calitz also emailed Trevor Carrol, manager of collections and drop-off facilities. After having no joy, he sent him another email on Wednesday February 14, saying: “I place on record that you failed to respond to my emails below. I now understand why this matter has been dragging on since 2008 as I have been told by residents.
“I will seek legal advice regarding the legality of the site and reserve my rights in respect of any legal costs incurred,” he said.
The Northern News sent detailed questions to the City’s media department; Ms Janse van Rensburg and the former chairman of the Goodwood Ratepayers’ Association Brian Lawson but did not receive a response by the time this edition went to print.